The standard height, or thickness, of a mattress, is in the 8- to 12-inch range, although these days it's common to find thicker mattresses.
As a rule, mattress thickness alone is not an indicator of quality; that's more a function of mattress material and construction.
A thicker mattress might be right for you if:
- You have a larger body.
- You want to get on and off your bed with ease.
- Your bed or headboard demands it.
You may want to stick to a thinner mattress if:
- You don't want to deal with a heavy mattress.
- You don't want to “climb" into bed.
- You don't want to purchase deep pocket or extra-deep pocket sheets.
Keep in mind that pairing a thick mattress with a high foundation may make it difficult to get in and out of bed. The average height of a mattress plus foundation and frame is around 25 inches, though it can be more or less depending on your height and personal preference.
Saatva mattresses are available in the following heights (or thicknesses):
- Saatva Classic: 11.5" and 14.5"
- Loom & Leaf: 12"
- Zenhaven: 10"
- Saatva HD: 15.5"
- Solaire: 13"
Saatva's foundations are available in standard height (8.75") and “low profile" (4.75"). You can mix and match the thickness of a mattress and foundation to get the setup you like best.